Tuesday, December 14, 2010

XVIII

Hey!

Two things:

1) Its fucking cold out. Like space cold. And I'm home during the day and since I'm lame and live with my parents who work the heat isn't on. And I feel like a little leeching shit if I turn it on during the day even though I work from home and it's not like I don't have a job or anything. The thermostat in my house just has a picture of a middle finger on it. Also, my cats have reached the point in their lives where they piss on everything so a good number of our blankets smell like old hockey bags. And actually, as I think about it, the cats suck extra because they aren't even big enough to skin and make new blankets out of. Or even small area rug really. It would really add a lot to the decor: bear skin rug in the living room, cat skin mat in the front hall. And it would ward off intruding cats from encroaching on the property. And it would probably scare the shit out of little kids. Actually, the pros of this are greatly outmatching the cons. Something to think about for sure, especially with Christmas right around the corner.

2) I was originally going to write about the increasing tide of bizarre commercials (Old Spice, Troy Palomalu's Head and Shoulders stuff, etc.) but now I think I'll hold that off 'til after the Superbowl to see if it holds up. So to fill this space, I want to talk about how awesome 1920s style comedians were. Case in point. This originally caught my interest after watching Boardwalk Empire where they did an Eddie Cantor bit. I think I find it so funny because it is so radically out of context today. It's a dude in a porkpie hat with tons of stage makeup on just dropping bombs onstage. The weird part is that it was funny then because it was so fresh, and now it's fucking hysterical because it's so disjointed and alien. It's the kind of stuff all those absurd commercials are parodying, it's what Tim and Eric do on their show, it's definitely the essence of anti-comedy or absurdist comedy or whatever you want to call it. That said, I want to do a modern comedy show of observational comedy in the style of Eddie Cantor. Seinfeld-esque stuff, (although it seems like he's spun out of orbit too) but with that crazy cadence and with vaudeville songs and crazy powdery face makeup. I think it would be just top-notch. Get at me with donations.

No comments: